Calling a restaurant to book for a table for five on Friday the 14th of February, I immediately felt judged when the response on the other end was “Oh.. Friday’s Valentines Day?”. YES AND I WANT A TABLE FOR FIVE. So on Valentines Day I got all dressed up and prepared myself to see one million couples holding hands and swooning over each other. However what I found was that although there were heaps… and heaps of couples… There were quite a few groups of girls out as well.
So I decided to compile a list of reasons why spending Valentines day with the girls (coined Galentines Day) is better than spending Valentines Day with a partner:
1. You can eat as much as you want because you are “eating your feelings” about not having a partner.. when really you just feel like eating lots
2. Your girlfriends think of things like bringing each other flowers and chocolates
3. Even if your friends don’t buy you flowers and chocolates it doesn’t matter, no offense is taken.. ultimate win/win situation
4. You can eat lots of chocolate because once again you are “eating your feelings” and chocolate will always be there for you
5. You can go to cheap places and save yourself a whole lotta dollars
6. You can eat like a slob- which trust me, I am very good at
7. On that note, you can order Spaghetti and not worry about how much of a mess you are going to be afterwards
8. You don’t have to try and think of a Valentines gift for a boy- WHAT THE HELL DO BOYS WANT ON VALENTINES DAY???
9. You can make fun of couples eg. the couple that gets dropped off by Daddy in a bright yellow Porsche convertible, the couple that look like brother and sister, the couple that sit on their phones the whole meal etc etc
10. You don’t have to wear nice lingerie- better yet you don’t have to BUY nice new lingerie, that shit’s expensive
And at the end of the night- which for us was about 9.30, you can head home to your own bed and online shop and it’s justified because it’s Valentines Day.